Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe
Everything is better by the lake.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Outstanding fun right outside our door!

Today Daisy and I walked right out the front door, turned left on 9th, then right on Elm, then left up Placer to the dead end at the top of the hill. I carried my cross country skiis with me. I hooked into my bindings and away we went! I noticed how much faster my skiis are than my snow shoes. Just last week Sandor and I trudged up this ridge very slowly in our snowshoes, of course it was only a few hours after we skate skiied from Tahoe City to Northstar in the Tahoe Rim Tour ski race, and not to mention the fresh powder that had dropped all night.... But anyways, back to the point of this posting. There is some fun to be had right here in our neighborhood, no driving required! The same trails behind our neighborhood that we ride on all summer are excellent for skiing too! Especially since they have done so much brush cutting and tree thinning for the fire dangers. The snow is just perfect up there!

Lot's of wild things to track up there


Last week we got a ride up here


Rubicon Peak in the background and Dasiy brought her friends Pia and Lucy another time.

We skiied up the ridge to a perfect untracked bowl (ok, not super steep, but challenging on the x-country planks) and swooped down into Sugar Pine Point Park where they occasionally groom the trails. Did you know that the cross country skiing portion of the 1960 Winter Olympics were held right here? How cool is that?




See! It's groomed!



And it's not bad looking out here either!

No comments: